Ridesharing services like Uber are very popular in this area, and they offer convenient ways for people to get from place to place. However, have you ever wondered what happens if you are in a collision while riding in an Uber? What if you are struck by an Uber driver while inside another vehicle?
At The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman, our qualified and experienced Uber accident attorneys understand these cases are we are ready to get to work on your behalf. Let us investigate what happened and work through this complicated insurance situation to secure the compensation you deserve.
Uber vehicle accidents do happen
While there is no solid research on how often rideshare service vehicles belonging to companies like Uber or Lyft are involved in accidents, they do occur. When we look at the overall traffic accident statistics from the latest reporting year in California, we can see that there were:
- Over 273,000 total car accident injuries
- Almost 4,000 total car accident fatalities
Regardless of who you are, you could be impacted by the negligent or careless actions of an Uber driver – whether you are a regular Uber rider or another person on the roadway. There are tens of thousands of Uber drivers in this area.
It is not uncommon for our car accident lawyers to help clients with the following injuries in the aftermath of an accident:
- Broken or dislocated bones
- Severe lacerations or amputations
- Internal organ damage
- Internal bleeding
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
Each of these injuries can lead to significant medical expenses for a victim and their family, so it is important to understand Uber’s insurance.
Uber’s insurance can be confusing
While Uber does have insurance available for passengers and other people affected by a crash, it only kicks in under certain circumstances.
- If a driver is not “logged in” to Uber’s system and awaiting a fare (if they are on personal time), then their private insurance carrier is responsible for any crash expenses.
- If a driver is “logged in” but waiting for a fare, their private carrier is still the primary carrier in a crash. Uber’s policy will kick in only if a claim is denied or does not cover all of the expenses.
- If a driver has a passenger or is on the way to pick one up, Uber’s $1 million liability policy is available to those harmed by an Uber driver.
How an Oxnard Uber accident attorney can help with your case
Assisting you in navigating the complexities of Uber’s insurance is just one way an Uber accident law firm in the Oxnard area can help you recover the compensation for which you may be eligible. An Oxnard personal injury lawyer can also help you by:
- Investigating the case: In many instances, it is necessary to conduct an investigation into your accident to gather evidence regarding the circumstances that contributed to the accident occurring and who the liable parties may be. A lawyer will conduct such an investigation on your behalf. Although Uber’s insurance or the driver’s private insurance are most likely responsible for compensating you, there is a possibility third parties may be involved.
- Documenting your losses: This is a critical factor. Insurance companies are businesses. Thus, they will prioritize their bottom line before they prioritize offering claimants the full amount of compensation they may be eligible to recover. You can’t expect Uber’s insurer or the insurer of the driver to let you know you deserve compensation for certain losses if you don’t mention them in your claim. To improve your chances of recovering the full amount of compensation you might be owed, you need representation from a legal professional qualified to account for all your compensable losses.
- Coordinating with experts: Building the strongest case possible often requires coordinating with various professionals to gather any evidence that can support your claim. For example, you might need to coordinate with medical professionals to fully document the extent of your injuries. Your lawyer can handle this element of the process.
Keep in mind that recovering from an Uber accident can also be a long process depending on the severity of your injuries. During this time, you should focus on your own wellness. You don’t need to add extra stress to your life by handling such tasks as gathering evidence, submitting paperwork, and corresponding with insurance adjusters on your own.
Hire a lawyer to handle these tasks instead. This will give you the peace of mind that comes from knowing an expert is working on your case while you are resting and recovering.
Additionally, the initial consultation with a member of the team at our Oxnard Uber accident law firm will be free. You are thus not taking any financial risks by meeting with us to learn more about your legal options.
We are ready to help with your case
If you or someone you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of an Uber driver, you need to seek legal assistance as soon as possible. At The Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman, we know that the insurance process after an Uber accident can be complex, but we are ready to handle all aspects of your case. Our goal is to secure compensation for:
- Your medical expenses related to the incident
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Lost wages and benefits if you cannot work
- Possible punitive damages against the Uber driver
If you need an Oxnard Uber accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling 805-983-2344.