Sustaining a life-changing injury is always a devastating experience. Coping with such an experience can be particularly challenging if you were injured because someone else was careless.
Has this happened to your or a loved one in the Oxnard, California area? Review your case with an Oxnard serious injury attorney if so. You may be eligible to receive financial compensation for your medical bills and various other losses. A member of our team at the Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman will go over the details of your case and explain how you may proceed.
What Constitutes a ‘Serious Injury’ in Oxnard, California?
Serious or “catastrophic” injuries come in a variety of forms. Generally, they are injuries which either have a permanent impact on a victim’s quality of life or interfere substantially with their ability to perform basic daily tasks.
Common serious injuries include (but aren’t necessarily limited to):
- Spinal cord injuries, which may result in paralysis
- Traumatic brain injuries, which can result in cognitive difficulties, memory problems, mood disorders, etc.
- Loss of limbs
- Internal organ damage
- Loss of sight and/or hearing
- Serious burns or disfigurement
Oxnard Serious Injury Cases: Seeking Compensation
If you’ve been seriously injured due to the negligence or actions of another party, you can file an insurance claim or lawsuit to seek compensation for such losses as:
- Your medical bills (potentially including the cost of future/ongoing medical treatment)
- Lost wages, as your injuries will likely prevent you from working and earning an income
- Pain and suffering and other such non-economic damages
How an Oxnard Serious Injury Attorney Can Help
It’s always wise to enlist the help of a qualified legal professional when seeking financial compensation after being injured due to someone else’s negligence. When filing an insurance claim, you must understand that insurance companies are businesses. The goal of an insurer is to avoid losing money whenever possible.
Thus, insurance companies often try to convince claimants to settle for less than they deserve. This is particularly true when victims have been seriously injured. Because you may be owed a substantial amount of money, it’s likely the insurance company will put up a fight instead of willingly and eagerly paying you what you ask for.
An Oxnard serious injury lawyer can assist you in these circumstances by:
- Identifying the negligent parties who caused your injuries
- Gathering sufficient evidence of negligence
- Adding up your losses, which may involve assigning a dollar value to non-economic losses and estimating the cost of future losses, to determine how much compensation you might deserve to receive
- Filing a claim on your behalf
- Negotiating for a proper settlement with the insurance company
- Determining if going to court is necessary if the insurance company won’t offer an appropriate settlement
No ethical lawyer can promise you will receive a specific sum of money when your case is resolved. However, at the Law Offices of J. Jeffrey Herman, we can promise to leverage our years of experience to optimize your chances of securing the full amount of compensation you deserve. Learn more about what an Oxnard serious injury attorney can do for you by contacting us online or calling us at 805-983-2344 for a free consultation.